Monday, July 7, 2008

Jafa

JAFA - Just another flippin' Aucklander

Auckland is home to more than a quarter of the New Zealand population and is by far the largest city in the country. If you ask New Zealanders about a rivalry between the north and south islands, they will say that one exists but the real rivalry is between Auckland and the rest of New Zealand because most Kiwis don't like the concrete jungle known as Auckland and the jafa's living there.

Well, it was my turn to go check out all that Auckland had to offer. And as soon as I got there I wanted to leave. To be fair, it was an actual city which was a nice change of pace but there is really nothing at all to do there. It really just isn't fun so I didn't end up spending much time here. The biggest attraction, literally and figuratively, is the Sky Tower that looms high above the city. It is better viewed from a distance so I strolled over to the university to see what I missed out on (I was suppose to study abroad here until a registraring snafu screwed that all up) and to get some views of the city. Once that was done and I walked around the city museum for a bit I had pretty much done everything I wanted to do there, and got out of town ASAP.