Sunday, May 4, 2008

Under the sea

I got to do my first dive trips to some of the local islands here in Krabi and it was amazing. The trip consisted of 2 dives.

The first dive had visibility of 20-30 feet and I went to a depth of 60 feet where I stayed for 42 minutes. Underwater were schools of fish everywhere. Thousands and thousands of rainbow colored fish everywhere sitting on top of a colorful coral reef. Closer to the ground were seahorses, angel fish, and these brilliantly shaded blue fish. You couldn't look in any direction without seeing hundreds of fish.

The 2nd dive the visibility wasn't as great but we got to go through a cave. I was freaked out when I'm 40 feet underwater and it starts getting pitch black around me....don't worry I had a dive master all to myself... but then I saw the light at the end of the cave and it was beautiful. Fish darting all over the place, seemed like they were surprised to see us. But I made it back in one piece and had a great time.

Interestingly there were 7 people diving that day, and aside from the instructors I was the only one that was actually certified. You can dive without a certification but you can't go deep and someone is literally holding onto you the entire time...and it costs twice as much as it would for me, I'm glad I got the cert.

I'm thinking about going to the east coast of Thailand to the diving mecca of Koh Tao and getting my advanced certification so I can go deeper. Koh Tao has 100 foot visibility these days, I can't imagine what that's like but I can't wait to find out.